When we think of formal processes like internal audit, sometimes we only think they apply to large and complex organisations. There can be real benefits to all organisations, provided the processes introduced are proportionate – don’t use a sledgehammer to crack a nut!
Here are out top 7 tips for introducing Internal Audit:
1. Agree the purpose of the internal audit processes – to provide assurance that the controls put in place are working, and to identify any changes needed in risk management, controls and governance arrangements.
2. Agree whether the internal audit function will be delivered by internal staff or outsourced to a professional provider. Ensure account is taken of the skills (technical, industry specific, communications) and time needed, the importance of independence from management, and the costs involved.
3. Develop a tailored Audit Plan for the year, based on the areas of key risk identified in the Compliance Checklist, and ensuring that independent assurances provided by other stakeholders are acknowledged (eg) regulators or funders who perform audits on particular areas.
4. Ensure clarity on lines of communication and accountability (eg) to the Audit Committee.
5. Develop systematic processes for the internal auditor to receive assurance that management have taken timely and effective action on any recommendations.
6. Ensure that the head of internal audit meets with the Audit Committee in a private session, without managers present, to enable open and confidential conversations in case they are needed. Ideally, all matters that need to be dealt with can be addressed in open and honest conversations during the usual Audit Committee meetings.
7. The Audit Committee should monitor the effectiveness of internal audit processes at least annually.
Further reading –
Greats news! Applications are now open for our accredited course – Boardroom Leadership in the 21st Century. In response to demand from clients over the years, Leading Governance Ltd is delighted to offer this unique accredited course for Board Members, which will be delivered by Zoom from January to April 2022. Apply here.
Did you know?
You can join the Leading Governance website as a member? Members get access to thousands of pounds worth of essential Governance materials to build their own Governance Manuals, from Sample Board Agendas to Board Member Review templates and much more! Click here to see more about Membership and join our community.
See more of our recent blog posts below!